Years ago when I decided to make this space about my family and kids it was a pretty lonely place. Of course, I write mainly for me and my children. I hope one day they will like what I write here about them. I also love when other people tell me they enjoyed a post or that it brought back memories or made them feel something. It makes my day. I probably would only have two readers if it wasn’t for Oren (aka @BloggerFather) welcoming me to the Dad Blogging community. Anyone looking for dad blogs to read should head over to his site where he writes some great stuff and also has a scrolling list of bazillions of dad bloggers from all walks of life. He was one of the first people to ever add my blog to his site.
But being added to a blogroll and being tagged for the Kreative/Very Inspiring Blogger award are two completely different things. Honestly, I was blown away when he tagged me in a blog post with some great bloggers like Tommy from Life of Dad, Brent from Designer Daddy, James from Luke, I am Your Father, and John from Daddy’s in Charge?. I usually don’t do the blog award thing (I’ve only gotten three in the past) but since I owe Oren big time, and he puffed up my ego by including me in his list of “Top Five Dad Bloggers” essentially, (my words not his) and also indirectly threatened my life on Twitter if I don’t do this, I figured it was worth it to answer seven questions and add 10 random things about myself.
- What is your favorite song?
- My favorite band of all time is Switchfoot, who you probably haven’t heard of but I am their unofficial air drummer and I was even featured once on their website for having the most awesome fan t-shirt ever. But I think if I had to pick one song that I could listen to over and over again for 48 hours straight without food or sleep it would have to be…hm, I guess I don’t have one. But here are my recent iTunes downloads: In My Place and The Scientist by Coldplay, The Lotus Eaters by JRK, Nessun Dorma from the Sum of All Fears soundtrack (and the opera Turandot) Hey! I like to keep things interesting!
- What’s your favorite desert?
- I am a grammar and spelling nerd so I did some research into this question and it is supposed to be desert (dry, arid, sandy place) and not dessert (gooey caramel covered ice cream). My favorite desert is the one I saw on TV when Bear Gryllis drank his own urine out of a snake skin in order to survive. Why was that my favorite? Because it wasn’t me stranded in the desert drinking my own urine, that’s what makes it the best. Also, I totally know that he is not actually surviving in the wilderness, but is helicoptered from his five star hotel to the desert for like a twenty minute shoot, but I still like the show.
- What do you do when you are upset?
- When I’m really mad I punch things. Not walls or anything that might hurt me, I’m not that tough, but the couch or pillow on the bed or the empty passenger seat next to me in the car (I have serious road rage issues, it’s true). If I’m just upset I sulk.
- Which is your favorite pet?
- I have one dog, Roxy. She’s a miniature chocolate and tan Dacshund and is super cute. My first dog, Speck, hated me and would growl whenever I walked passed the room. Obviously I love Roxy more.
- Which do you prefer, White or Whole Wheat?
- I prefer White but rarely eat it. I’m on a little bit of a health kick lately which involves no white bread unless I’m eating a giant greasy two pound hamburger, in which case I allow myself to have white bread, drink pop and down half a bag of chips (family size). Otherwise, I watch what I eat. After all, if I don’t count calories then it makes all the pain I endure while running worthless.
- What is your your biggest fear?
- I don’t think about my fears much so this isn’t something that is constantly on my mind. Losing my job and not being able to provide for my family is pretty high on the list of things I fear. When we moved from Pennsylvania to Ohio, we had just bought our first house, my wife was pregnant with our first child, I had no job and no job prospects, no health insurance and high blood pressure. I never want to be there again.
- What is your attitude mostly?
- Contemplative and Happy (Not angry and punching things)
I’d like to change things up for the “ten random things” bit I’m supposed to do and give YOU the chance to ask me a random question. I’ll answer the first ten questions left in the comments. I’m not trying to shirk my blog award responsibilities (please don’t harm me whoever has my house bugged) I just thought I would try to make this more interactive. (Please readers, I’m begging you! Ask ten questions so we can sleep soundly at night!)
You don’t believe me about the threats? Here’s proof. Please, I need you to ask some questions…
Now I need to tag others? And I will give the same advice that I received. Not everyone does the blog award thing, if you don’t post anything about this I will completely understand. But you may or may not notice a black sedan parked outside your house if you don’t follow through.
Great blogs I read regularly are:
- Kevin who inspires me to be a better blogger – Growing Sideways
- Chuck who occasionally busts my gut with laughter filled posts at FatherTrek
- Brad over at Brad the Dad who is hilarious on Twitter
- James writer of EduDad who is equally hilarious on Twitter
- Pop whose writing at Go!Pop!Go! has slowed a bit since the birth of their son but is still a great dad blogger.
And next week I’ll be writing an update on our adoption process so come back for that (or subscribe so you don’t have to remember) and don’t forget to ask a question in the comments!
What was that?!!??!?
- For you, blogging Dads (sarahjaneprosetry.wordpress.com)
- Sometimes it’s hard being a dad that blogs (mutteringsofafool.wordpress.com)